Best Dating Sites For You Who Are 50+ in South Africa
Author Emma Stockton
Dating is often seen as a thing for younger people. The first meeting, the tingling in the stomach, dreaming of a future together, is usually connected with the young generation. When it comes to online dating, this image is even stronger. The internet is considered a youth thing and seniors can easily believe that it is not a place for them.
But of course, that’s not true! Online dating is for anyone who wants to meet someone. There are many dating sites with singles available for all ages. Online dating is something that everyone can benefit from because it is easy to both find people and get in touch with them. Share your interests, chat with like-minded people and make an appointment for a first date. It’s never too late to find true love.
⭐ Best dating sites for singles over 50
- ❤️ Casual dating
- ❤️ Easy to use app
- ❤️ Verified profiles
- ❤️ 40+
- ❤️ Popular dating site
- ❤️ Good personality test
- ❤️ 30+
- ❤️ Contact guarantee
- ❤️ Good personality test
- ❤️ For ambitious people
- ❤️ Best matching feature
- ❤️ Relatively cheap service
- ❤️ Largest adult dating site
- ❤️ Verified members
- ❤️ Free trial
- ❤️ 18+
- ❤️ Lots of members
- ❤️ Priceworthy membership
- ❤️ Best chat system
- ❤️ Fast registration
- ❤️ Active members
Among the sea of dating sites, it can be difficult to find the best site for you. I go through some of the best dating sites below:
Match.com is one of the largest dating sites. As there are many users, you will find a large number of people in all age groups. The dating site is free to use and the app is very easy to navigate. This site is mostly for you who are looking for a serious relationship.
✔ Secure website and respected company
❌ Outdated website
Elite Singles is especially focused on educated or ambitious singles. There are no requirements such as income, but it is expected that you are successful in your field. 68% of its members are academics and there is a large selection for 50+ dating. Registration is free and the site is also available as an app. If you have high demands on your partner, this site will help you find only ambitious singles.
✔ Effective matchmaking
❌ Not for everyone
Ourtime is a dating site that is aimed at the target group of 50+. Depending on where you live, there are a large number of users. It is free to register, but a paid membership is required to gain full access to all features. There is also a flexible app to use. This site is perfect for you who only want a selection of singles over a certain age.
✔ Very few fake profiles
✔ Good free functionality
✔ App is easy to use
❌ Works best near big cities
60plus is not exactly a dedicated dating site but is a meeting place for everyone over 60 years. Therefore, it can be a starting point for 60+ dating. There is also a Facebook page and a trade fair. This is suitable for you who want to meet like-minded people and not necessarily a partner in the first place.
The advantage of 40+ dating
Dating as an adult and mature person can bring many benefits over dating when you are in your 20s. As an adult, you know more about yourself and know exactly what you are looking for. Your identity, interests and past relationships make you more confident in yourself and the criteria for your future partner are clearer.
According to research by Susan L. Brown and Sayaka K. Shinohara, it shows that dating at a mature age can bring many benefits. Dating can lead to better health, provide a larger social network and make you more socially connected than those who do not date in the same age group. Therefore, do not let your age pull you away from the dating scene, rather let it pull you there.
Personals and dating sites
Writing personals was something that was done a lot before the internet. It was an advertisement to get in touch with other people. These ads could be put up wherever you thought someone would read them, but above all, you could find them in the newspapers.
Personals and dating sites are not very different in principle. Both are about you writing about yourself in the search for a future partner. But dating sites have clear and distinct advantages over old-fashioned personals. First and foremost, it is both faster and easier to find someone who matches you and your wishes. There are many singles online who search and can find you with the push of a button. Another advantage is that while the contact ad disappears with yesterday’s news, your profile on the dating site remains for more people to read.
Since dating sites today can also be accessed via mobile phone, both through their website or through their app, you can find new singles wherever you are. You no longer need to be home to be able to find your next date. You can be out for a walk, in the library or on a break from work.
Start searching for your next love on dating sites. Here we go through how to get started.
Find the right dating site for you
There are many dating sites to choose from, but some are more tailored for those who are into 40+ dating. Some sites cost money to use, while others are free. Some are free to use but have turned off some features to paying customers. It is up to you if and how much you want to pay. Some sites also have a specific theme, such as serious dating, specific interests or sexual orientations.
To start dating singles online, start by registering a profile on a dating site. To do so, you need an email address. Registering usually only takes a few minutes.
Create a profile
After you have registered, you create a profile by uploading photos of yourself and describing yourself to match with the right person. Take your time when creating your profile. A more detailed and well-made profile attracts more viewers and increases your chances of getting in touch with the right person.
Start looking for singles
Now the fun begins. When your profile is complete, it’s time to go out on the dating site and look for interesting people. At most dating sites, you can like the profile of the person you want to meet and then start chatting with them.
Tips for making the perfect profile
When writing your profile, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- According to Professor Khalid Khan, 70% of your profile should include a description of you and 30% should describe your ideal partner. It gives others the courage to contact you because they know they are right for you. Tell us about yourself and your interests. Preferably something that can be talked about when someone starts chatting with you. Do not be generic and boring, show your unique side.
- Be honest in your profile. Lies will always come out sooner or later and then you risk losing contact. Honesty lasts longer.
- You should upload photos. Statistics from the University of Michigan show that a profile without a photo has a 20 times lower chance of getting visitors.
- Use photos where you are alone in the photo. Group photos can work if you are participating in a fun activity that you want to show off, but do not use that photo as your first profile picture.
- Show off your full figure. According to statistics from Zoosk, an international dating site, it will give an increased 203% number of messages than if you would only display pictures of your face.
- Also, be sure to choose good photos. Blurred photos make you look like you do not care, which is not a good first impression.
Being ready for dating
Dating as an older person usually means that you have been part of previous relationships. Sometimes it can be difficult to start dating again. This is not strange and is completely normal. If you find it difficult, it is always good to talk to loved ones about how you feel, they can be your best support.
You should never have to feel that you have to be a part of a relationship. Many are satisfied and happy to have time for themselves. But if you feel that you want someone in your life, you never have to feel any doubt.
Move on from previous relationships
Whether you are newly single from a short-term relationship or a long-term marriage, it can be difficult to move on. How you react is unique to you and if you need time, you have to take it. Do not drag any luggage into the next relationship. But if you are a person who needs to feel the next love and warmth to be able to move on, online dating is perfect. There you can quickly and easily find people.
Start dating as a parent
When you have children, it can feel difficult to start dating again, regardless of their or your age. You may think that no one would be interested in you having children, or you may feel that you are replacing their other parent. Even adult children may find it difficult if their parents’ long marriage ends and the parents go out on a date.
The important thing is to have an open conversation, both with the person you are dating and with your children. Tell us how you feel and what you want. In a family, everyone wants well and even though it can be hard, everyone will want each other happiness. Your children want to see you happy and know that dating will make you happy, they will be happy for you. Also, do not be discouraged from dating if you have children. There are many single parents and people who love children. Show pride in your children and you will find the right person.
To move on after the death of a partner
If your ex-partner has passed away, you may need time to mourn. In this case, you need more than ever to take your time to heal and move on. Even when you feel whole again, it can be difficult to see yourself with someone else in a romantic way. Utilize your close relationships and let them help you heal. You can also seek support from a professional talk therapist to help you work through the grief. Remember, meeting someone new never means replacing the one you lost. Feeling guilty is very normal and is something you may need support through. The important thing is that you know that there is no shame in meeting someone new, we all need love and care.
Avoid scams on dating sites
Unfortunately, fraud on dating sites is not inevitable. It is important that you know about this and be careful online when chatting with people, especially if you have not met them online yet. Fraud can involve stealing money or stealing identities.
Keep these things in mind so as not to fall for an attempted fraud:
- Be careful with your personal information. Never give out things like your full name with personal addresses unless you can guarantee that you can trust them.
- Pay attention to all warning signs. If the conversation becomes personal very quickly, if they ask for money or if they want to know personal information such as date of birth and full name. Instead, say only parts of the information such as just your surname and not your last name.
- Some dating sites and companies have fake profiles that write with you. This is to entice you to pay for messages and membership. If they avoid sharing their lives, are too easygoing or do not want to meet in person, it could be a fake profile. If the opportunity exists, ask for a video chat to confirm their existence.
- If you decide to meet, make sure that the first meeting is in a public place and tell relatives where you are going and when. Unfortunately, the elderly are often exposed to attacks and theft. Do everything you can to stay safe.
If you think you have been the victim of fraud, there are things you can do:
- End all contact with them.
- Report their account to the dating site.
If you are worried about accounts and bank details, freeze everything you think the fraudster might come across.
Table of Contents